Putting Teague in the car, I told him we were going to get a snack with Miss Laura to which he declared he would have a cookie. I promptly put an end to the cookie idea and offered a scone or a muffin (not because I think they are healthier, but more because I knew they'd take him longer to eat). He settled on a blueberry scone. We ordered, got settled on a couch next to the fireplace and Teague sat on the hearth and ate his scone for a good fifteen minutes. Once done, he drank some water, explored the hearth area and the demanded to smell my coffee. Which of course ended in screaming to hold it. I gave in, just to keep him quiet (he may have taken a sip, I'm not sure).
After our debate over the coffee, Teague quietly went into my bag to destroy all it's contents. I knew his goal was my wallet, but if he needed to pull everything out to be quiet and let me chat, so be it. He pulled everything out including each credit card, id card and coupon card I have, right under the sofa we were sitting on, then asked for help each time he wanted to put one back in (at least he cleaned up right?).
Once he was done with my wallet, I offered him his water cup without the lid on. Ice fishing is one of his favorite things. Quietly he dug in his cup, picking up ice, dropping the pieces on the floor and then putting them in his mouth. Nothing like some fine motor skill work.
This didn't last as long as I'd hoped and soon enough he was back in my bag, grabbing a bottle of water. For some reason the water bottle needed to be open and needed to sit on the edge of the couch - otherwise very loud screams were heard by everyone in the coffee shop. So there the water bottle sat, until I realized it didn't. I looked over and Teague was looking at the fireplace holding the water, 'ah' I thought 'how nice'.
About two seconds later I realized Teague had climbed onto the hearth and was stepping in a "puddle". That little trouble maker had dumped the water out so he could splash. I give him credit for dumping it on the rock hearth and not the floor, not sure of his reasoning but it did make a much better puddle. As he happily splashed, I kept chatting, honestly I was glad he found something that a) didn't bother other people, b) was quiet, and c) didn't require my help.
Once he was bored with the puddle, he decided to climb under a barrier that was behind the sofa, run behind the sofa and then crawl back under the barrier and run around to me. It was as if he created his own little gym. I happily allowed him to do this until we headed out to the car.I unlocked the doors for him to hop in, which of course he hopped right in the driver's seat. I still was chatting with my friend so again, just glad he was quiet and happy. We heard the horn once, but that was it. I arrived to the car about ten minutes later to hear him say, "I put lotion on Mommy." There is sunscreen in the car, but I could tell he didn't touch it (it's mineral based and white, there was no evidence) but my car did feel really greasy. Teague insisted he put lotion on that was in the front seat. I finally noticed there was chapstick. He'd smeared chapstick over him and the car.
I had very LOW expectations. It didn't wipe the smile off my face though.







No comments:
Post a Comment