Chris and Neland ran errands that morning while Teague and I made breakfast. It seemed as if the day would brighten up and there were even a few breaks in the clouds during the afternoon.
Then while preparing dinner and talking to Granny, Chris said, "Look"! And he wasn't kidding, it was snowing in sheets! You could see the wind pushing the snow around. We yelled to the boys (who were in their room reading books after driving us crazy downstairs arguing - they love each other but they definitely get on each others nerves sometimes and I find the best remedy is to put them in their room until I hear laughter, so far it's always worked).
Dinner was taken off the stove so we could enjoy the weather. In about five minutes it looked like this.
In ten more minutes it looked like this.
And it really started accumulating
The sled was in use as soon as possible.
A snow angel, both Neland and the shape he made.
It started getting dark, but the boys were determined to enjoy every last ounce of light. A snowman was built.
Dinner, a hot shower, and bedtime quickly followed the snow adventures, we were excited to know the snow would be around in the morning (although it did keep us from teaching Sunday school).
As soon as the boys were up, they were outside.
pure joy
rolly polly's down the hill
"Look I'm Santa"
I love this picture - the boys look so excited and Chris doesn't. The sled went really fast - to the point where they'd hit the house and I was sure a window would break. They perfected their technique by heading into the bushes, which made a slightly softer landing.
Since it rarely snows here, we never have gear unless it's a hand-me-down. Teague had a snowsuit we'd been given (two actually - Neland had used them in the past as well) but as for boots or gloves, we had to improvise. Neland had boots (hand-me-downs from the same friends) but for gloves, we used socks. Teague wanted his changed when they became wet. At one point we went inside to change them and he saw his horse. He asked if horse could come out in the snow, and I told him horse had to stay inside. So then he said, "Can I just give him a hug right now?" For being such a trouble maker, he is really a sensitive little guy.
Then came the snowballs
He's crying because Neland kept running from him. Chris and I both said, "Neland, will you stay still so he can hit you with a snowball?" Poor Neland.
When we were finally ready to come in for hot chocolate, this is the pile of clothes and boots that was left behind.
It hasn't snowed here since Teague was about 8 months old and Neland was 3. It was a very welcome event and as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the few things to look forward to in the winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment