Friday, February 1, 2013

conferences and more

Yesterday we had conferences with both the boys teachers. Hearing about their personalities at school is fascinating to me.

Neland is just as sweet at school as he is at home. His teachers love him and they said he's classmates do as well. They gushed on and on about him, it was really sweet to hear. Another parent even stopped me on Tuesday to ask if I was Neland's mom and to tell me a sweet story about how Neland made her daughter feel better about her grandfather passing away.

Teague conference was a surprise somewhat. Apparently he does not talk to his teachers, unless directly spoken to and then it's usually a yes or a no. I had an idea this might be the case because he is so unbelievable shy when we go to music or library class (like hide his head in my hair, shut his eyes shy). Usually walking into preschool he will either hide behind my legs or make me carry him where he will then hide in my hair. And when people say hello, he turns the other way and shuts his eyes. So different from his home personality of a demanding, yet loving, two year old. His teachers did say he talks to his friends, and a lot. He is in a class of six and some of the older 2s are big talkers so Teague and his best friend kind of hang back and let them lead. Chris and I find Teague to be very confident, but maybe being shy is just part of his personality. I'll be very interested to see how he acts in class next year.

As for the rest of the past two weeks:
Dali was sitting on the couch and Neland wanted to make her feel comfortable. He brought in a pillow, blanket, and every dog stuffed animal we own. Dali took it all pretty well. Until....
Teague wanted to climb up and snuggle with her. Look at Dali's face, I think her eyes are screaming "rescue me". Teague LOVES Dali.

We have a "lights out at 7:30" policy and the earlier the boys go to bed the more stories they will get. They must have been pretty tired this day because they chose to read library books in our room with Chris at 6:15.


We had an hour to pass before an appointment. Luckily the library was close by. Teague turned down story time for puzzles and dress up. I wish I'd gotten a picture of him holding an R while dressed like a pirate...

70 degrees on Tuesday equaled an hour and a half on the playground. Seriously a perfect afternoon.
A good snow before spring would be nice, but we can't wait for spring!

Frozen blueberries are a favorite snack in this house. Although eating them upstairs on the couch will no longer be allowed. Not only were Teague's hands and face covered, the couch was too - thank goodness for slipcovers!

The boys love looking at photo albums. Unfortunately the conversation usually goes:
Teague: There's me.
Neland: No that's not you Teague, that's me.
repeat... until the end of book. 
I have albums to pictures of Teague in, but I haven't yet. Poor Teague!

These boys do love each other, and they love sleeping on our bed. Teague sneaks in every night, but this night it was rainy and windy and the boys got a little scared. The night before they slept in our room as well because I had a meeting and Chris put them to bed. When I called on my way home I asked, "Are the boys asleep?" "yes" "Did the lights go out at 7:30" "yes" now I know to ask, "Are they  in their own bed?"

I worry about Neland's concentration and brought it up a few times during our conference, then at home that afternoon he spent a good thirty minutes putting together the monkey gears. It wasn't easy (I helped and the directions were definitely challenging). He stuck with it, put it together and then played for quite awhile. I was surprised and very proud. I even left him a few times to put in laundry or check on Teague, and he never gave up. So proud of my big guy.



No comments:

Post a Comment