Monday, June 24, 2013

the zoo

Last week we spent a day at the zoo.

I'd never seen a baby flamingo before, it may be the cutest thing I've seen.
 We were able to see the penguins being fed.

 This was Teague's favorite exhibit last year. It's a Siamang, which the father next to me kept telling his children it was a gorilla. It made me laugh just a little. One of our projects in grad. school was to sit next to an aquarium exhibit and see how many people read the information provided and how many just guessed (or thought they knew) what an animal was. Almost no one read the signs.
 Neland fed the giraffes. Teague was way too scared. He was convinced the giraffe would eat him.
 A special treat of Icees and a pretzel.
 We had our snack (technically lunch) while watching the bears. This bear jumped in the water, grabbed a log and pulled it out of the water.
 We visited a few areas more than once. The cow was a big attraction. 
 We had to visit the tiny playground.
 Then we headed back to the penguins one last time (we passed the flamingos on the way back).

It was a great trip. I let the boys lead the trip and we headed where they wanted to go. I wanted the trip to feel as relaxed as possible. Neland loved the cow and Teague loved the penguins. As we were leaving Teague asked about what we'd see when we returned the next day. I'll call the trip a success if he was ready to make the trek (it's a longish one) back the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment