How Do Dinosaurs Go to School, The Kissing Hand and First Day Jitters
On the first day of school I hopped in the shower before the boys woke up (quite a feat for me). Teague was in my bed by the time I was finished (Neland was there already from waking up in the night). I grabbed the camera and Teague is telling Neland he needs to look and say "Cheese". He was not happy that Neland didn't comply. Neland is the lump beside him.
The boys watched Curious George (our favorite) while I finished getting dressed, then they got dressed and we had breakfast - cinnamon toast and eggs. A special breakfast for a special day.
Teague's week ends an hour early to help the little ones adjust to a new routine, and Neland stays the entire day, including lunch. I wanted to make something a little special for him since he wouldn't be eating with us. He loved the star shaped jelly sandwiches.
There were no arguments to getting into the car, in fact the boys would have left thirty minutes early if we could have. Teague was very concerned his bookbag was not in the car. I had to keep assuring him it was right behind his carseat. The whole way to school Neland was telling Teague about all the wonderful things at school, the playground, the rainy day room, the music teacher, chapel. It was really sweet.
Official first day pictures
Neland has had the same bookbag since he was two. I ordered the same one for Teague but in a different color. Looking at this picture makes me realize how much Neland really has grown over the past few years.
Just a few pictures from Neland's first day in the 2 year old class
Back to both boys, the parent pictures-
Love this one. My goofy guy!
There was a slight hesitation in the hallway but it was quickly overcome.
Welcomed in and went right to playing at the table. No tears, no reservations.
Then it was the big guy's turn, he waited so patiently especially for how excited he was.
He kept saying how much he loved school and how excited he was to be there.
A quick goodbye and then a peek in on Teague.
I picked Teague up at noon. He was very excited to see me, but not too happy they dismissed another kid before him. I think he expected me to swoop in and scoop him up. I saw his face get progressively more distressed until it was a full out cry and run for me. I received the biggest snuggly hug.Neland's class was coming in from the playground as we were walking back down the hallway to leave. Poor Teague was very upset that Neland wasn't coming with us. I promised him we'd go have a special lunch and would be back for Neland in less than a hour. All I got back were sobs, until we were in the car. I took him to Caribou Coffee and let him pick a treat. He, of course, picked the biggest thing he could find. I'd packed him a lunch as well, but the treat was all he cared about.
During our "lunch" of carrot cake and coffee (no coffee for Teague, just me), I found out that he had a great day. He sang "Jesus Loves Me", read a book about a bear, Miss Amy pushed him on the swings, he used the potty (later verified he sat on it, but that was about it), and painted dots - he even named the colors he used. When I picked up Neland I put my head in Teague's room to ask if all the events he mentioned actually happened, and he was right about each one.
Neland had a wonderful day as well. His favorite thing is that his room has a computer and he was able to use it the first day. He went on and on about using the computer. When prodded for more information they read two stories, had lunch and played police on the playground. He could not wait to go back to school today, although I think the past two days have worn him out because right now he's napping (as is Teague).











No comments:
Post a Comment