Tuesday, July 3, 2012

vbs

Last week the boys and I headed to VBS every morning, every very early morning. The week was wonderful. I was able to teach crafts, Neland got to experience the friends that will be in his new class next year and Teague, well Teague, didn't have fun till Friday but at least he enjoyed one day.

I'm not used to waking the boys but we had to leave the house by 7:30 each morning so some days it was 7:15 and they were still sleeping. Waking Teague is not fun, and even Neland was a bit grumpy by the end of the week. Because of the crazy schedule, both boys actually napped two afternoons in a row!

The theme this year was "Under Construction". We teamed up with Habitat for Humanity and the elementary students built a shed that would go to a Habitat house (they also were able to tour the house being built). On Friday, we dedicated the shed and met the family that would be receiving it.

Since I taught this year, I had Neland each day for about 20 minutes with his classmates. He was such a sweetheart, but I do have to say we've definitely made the right decision in keeping him back a year. Neland told me his favorite part was the candy. There was another class called Food Art where the kids made candy houses. That pretty much sold Neland on VBS.

Teague hated being dropped off in the toddler room. The first day he threw a fit, so I put him on the playground with Neland (and the teenagers who were watching the kids of volunteers) while I had a meeting. Once it was time to start I had a friend take him (screaming) down to the toddler room. By Tuesday it was better, and by Friday there was little resistance. However, each afternoon, night, morning, Teague kept saying, "Don't leave me Mama". It broke my heart. And at church in the mornings, I'd have to carry him while he clung to my arm.

On Friday they brought in a huge blowup waterslide, slippin' slides, and baby pools for the kids. It looked like so much fun. Neland said he went down the slide twice and that Teague did it over and over and over. Teague loved the slide (and the popsicles as well).

There are pictures from this week, but they are all on shutterfly. I wish I could post them, if I figure out how, I will.

I consider this week a VBS success because over the weekend at home, Neland built a Lego house and then the Lego "Jesus" told the Lego "children" that he loved them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment