Wednesday, July 24, 2013

the big event

Last week, each morning, Neland would wake up reporting how many days were left before his birthday. He could not wait.
We did our traditional night before pictures. 
 And along with tradition, he chose the activities and foods for the day. We started with Dunkin Donuts. He kept asking, "I can have a whole one?" Apparently we make him split them most of the time. I love his, 'Can I eat this already face?'
 The proper way to eat a doughnut.
 Our 9:11 pictures to celebrate when we first met!
After doughnuts we headed to the park with our bikes. 
 A trip to the toy store followed (we needed a break from the heat)!
Neland was excited to get a "bad guy set".
Chick-fil-a for lunch
 And then it was party time. Neland had thought of having a laser tag party, but changed his mind to having a party at home. I asked him why he changed his mind and he said, "because Matthew is scared of laser tag and I want him to have fun too." Sweetest guy I know!
 Neland's proposal for a home party sounded a lot like Teague's Elmo party. He wanted a craft, cookies and a game. So that's what we did. We made angry birds and pigs from styrofoam balls.
 Decorated cookies like angry birds and pigs.
 Teague's are below:
 Matthew's:
Then we played angry birds with boxes, water balloon pigs and bean bags in a sling shot. 
It was not easy to aim, but it was fun.
 Then we let them choose, throwing or the sling shot.
Then we had a free-for-all. They were dying to pop the balloons and knock down the boxes (only to build them up again).
We bought the big, easy to fill balloons, which were also hard to pop. Watching Teague cracked me up:
With a lot of hot and sweaty kids, it was time for cake!
We had one activity after cake, Neland's favorite - creating angry bird sets on paper with stickers and precut paper.

 Over cake I had asked the boys what their favorite thing about summer was, some said the pool, some said vacation, Neland said, "Being with my friends." His little buddy said, "Aww, that's the best one."

Neland didn't once ask for presents all day. He didn't mention them once, didn't allude to opening them. Nothing. I can't describe my shock. After dinner we told him we had a surprise for him. Then he guessed it was a present. I pulled out one and he went nuts (which made me think of returning the rest if he was that happy with one). We pulled out the other three and he was ecstatic. 
 The aftermath:
 While the day was tough on Teague (he figured out he was cheated out of a friend party, on top of all the attention given to Neland), but he found his place - and some new toys that Neland didn't mind sharing.
The next day, Granny, Grandma, Grandpa and Mumsie all made the trip down to celebrate! I should have picked up my camera more! Our house was covered with presents and two very happy little guys.
It was a great weekend for a great kid! Neland is just the sweetest kid, and constantly impresses me with his selflessness and kindness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment