Sunday, May 15, 2011

Teague's Baptism


Teague was baptized today at our church, Covenant Presbyterian.  We've been attending Covenant for about a year and it's definitely become our church home (we joined in December).  Yesterday Chris and I had baptism counseling along with two other couples.  We both knew the basic meaning of baptism, but we definitely learned a lot more about what this would mean for our sweet boy, us and for the congregation which left us even more excited about Sunday. 

We arrived very early on Sunday (pretty sure this is a first for us, after dropping the kids off at Sunday school we usually make it to the sanctuary right after all the beginning music and the welcome).  For the first time Neland sat in a pew.  Granny and Grandma sat with him and Chris, Teague, Grandpa (who served as our elder), and I went to a conference room downstairs.  We prepped for the baptism and Teague enjoyed running down the hall, climbing on the table and sitting in the chairs. 


Once it was close to our time to enter the sanctuary, we went to a side door to wait.  Teague, along with screaming, repeatedly climbing stairs, also tried climbing the door which was quite a sight.  Once we entered the sanctuary all he wanted was to leave my grasp.  I tried swinging him, no comfort.  I put his feet on the floor and he tried to take off.  Neland had come to stand with us and gave him a huge hug.  It calmed him down enough to be held again.  Then Grandpa poured the water into the baptismal font.  Teague wanted in the water.  Our minister had been talking this entire time and at the point where Grandpa spoke to the congregation, our minister leaned over and said "I'll just let you hold him for the baptism." He asked me to step closer to the font with Teague so he could baptize him.  At this point I was trying to contain Teague's arms to keep his hands from going in.  Our sweet minister baptized him, then took his hand and placed it in the water.  (however I would love a transcript of all that was said, while I remember bits and pieces, collectively it was a blur of baby).  Grandpa then took Teague and walked in out through the congregation.

We waited for the service to end so that we could be greeted by the congregation.  It was a beautiful day so we were able to wait outside.  During our wait, Neland's Sunday school class came outside to let some butterflies go.  One of his little friend's saw him and asked him to join the group.  It was really sweet.

 


This was wonderful for passing the time.  When the service was over, our minister came out to greet people and we got a picture and greeting people as well.




It was wonderful to meet so many members of our church.  One of my favorite comments that I received from four or five people regarded Neland giving Teague a hug to calm him down.  Even a few people said it brought tears to their eyes at how sweet it was.  Neland is the best big brother Chris and I could ever hope for, he's so caring and loving to Teague that I'm a little sad Neland doesn't have an older brother to fill this role for him. 

My other funny comment of the day relates back to Saturday.  I was very vocal about my concerns over Teague's behavior and was told it would be nothing that hasn't been seen before.  Our counselor then told us a story about an old brother that hung from his parents upside down on a leg during a baptism.  Well, while we were greeting people, one lady said that she'd definitely remember Teague's baptism and the only other one she remembered was when a kid was hanging onto a leg upside down, but that this was much better.  It's nice to know we're making a name for ourselves in the church.

We went to lunch at one of our favorite restaurants, Roosters, where of course, Teague slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment