I know induction isn't the most popular choice, but my practice is very conservative (up until recently it was the only practice in town that allowed a woman to go to 42 weeks), so I knew I was in good hands. There was a list of three criteria I needed to meet to be induced and looking at my records I'd met all those criteria at 38 weeks with both boys. Then came this pregnancy. I didn't meet a single requirement at 40 weeks. So we waited. Then came the 41 week appointment, and everything had changed! It was exciting and scary all at the same time. My doctor who is only on call twice a month, was on call the next day (and I absolutely love her) so it really seemed like everything just came together.
Grandma and Grandpa drove down that night to stay with the boys while we were at the hospital. I was a little sad to miss Neland's end of year party and field day but I was promised pictures. Chris and I headed out at 6:30am to get checked in to the hospital. Here I am heading in (which I must say it was nice not rushing there, walking in on my own and actually being relaxed):
We were checked in and our nurse introduced herself - only we knew her from our previous births! This is a little unlikely as this is the largest hospital in the area (especially for maternity patients). It was really exciting to see a familiar face. Here she is at Neland's (she rolled off a couple hours before he arrived), and at Kenan's:
She had me hooked up to for fluids and started piticon. And then we waited. My doctor had mentioned a few times that inductions take awhile, but I honestly wasn't expecting anything fast and furious (nor did I want it). I was still 3cm when I had my epidural placed. After two epidural issues with my previous pregnancies, I was extra nervous this time around.
Luckily one of the mom's from Teague's preschool class is an anesthesiologist with the group that works at our hospital. She had mentioned that if I emailed her with my induction day and time she would see if she could be my doctor. I'd emailed her, but unfortunately she wasn't in the main hospital, but instead she told the doctors on call about me (which made me feel like I was in good hands). When the doctor walked in, he knew my name and that I was friends with her (seemed like a good start). The epidural kind of worked, but the intense pain was back within about an hour. My anxiety from thinking I would have to deliver without an epidural again kicked into high gear, which I am sure made everything seem worse. They tried different things and then it was decided to move the epidural, which meant getting another one. I was about 8cm. It wasn't easy but it worked! It was around 3:45pm and our nurse said she'd come check to see if I was ready to push at 4:15pm. I asked if she'd return at 4, nervous that the epidural would quit again.
When our nurse returned at 4 I did a trial push, she called my doctor in and at 4:14pm Kenan Caroline arrived! The pushing is really the best part (up until you get to see the little one). I remember as my doctor was suiting up asking her if she wanted to cover her hair since it looked so nice. She laughed at the fact I was worried about her when I was the one about to have a baby.
8 pounds 2 ounces & 21.5 inches
My doctor stayed with us for awhile. She is so sweet.
Neland was able to leave school early because it was his end of year party. He was thrilled to meet KC.Chris' one request was that he hold her before any one else (other than me). The boys weren't happy about waiting but it shows how loved this little lady is!
first bath
daddy's first time with a diaper change
We stayed one night (we always request an early release and Neland was in tears when he thought we would not be bringing KC home that night). KC's bilirubin levels were elevated so we had to schedule an appointment for the next morning with our pediatrician. But we made it home late on June 5th.
The most attentive family member finally met our newest member. I think she approved.
It was such a special couple days where the world stopped and only our little family existed for the moment. Once home, time starting flying again!






No comments:
Post a Comment